I’m thinking about becoming Buddhist, and I have a few questions about it. I know I will not become a full blown Buddhist, I just want to believe what they believe, meditate, and have an excuse to practice Tantra.
1. Do you have to agree with every one of their beliefs? I don’t think I will be able to free myself from all desires. I still desire a certain career, a better bass guitar, my dream home on the coast of Maine, etc.
2. Do you have to be vegetarian? I know they believe in not harming animals, but does this also go for food? I like chicken and ham too much. (I know, this sounds bad, seeing as I should not be attached to food if I want to become Buddhist.)
3. How many different forms of meditation are there?
4. They don’t believe in complete celibacy, right? You’re not supposed to desire sex, but I don’t think they believe it’s wrong.
5. Has Buddhism helped you in your daily lives?
6. Will meditation help clear my head all the time, or just when I’m meditating? I’m not quite attention deficit, but my head is always going crazy. I can never seem to pay attention completely, i.e. in school. I can’t read much without having to reread a sentence. Will meditation help this?
7. What is the buddhist practice that helps with insomnia? I read that there is one, and sometimes I can’t fall asleep for hours, due to my problem in question 6.
Thank you very much for your help.
The only thing I know about Tantra is what I learned from American Pie 2, so I may have been misinformed 🙂