yoga or meditation that works specifically for depression ?

• Creator
    Topic
    Forum
    Keymaster
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

Most yoga’s and meditation takes hell lot of time to take effect and i leave them in between due to frustration, please suggest any specific yoga for depression which shows it effects early so that i will keep taking interest in it and will do it for a long time.
    plz help !

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Forum
      Keymaster
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful

If you find they take to long try going somewhere thinking of what is frustrating you and just scream it seems to get rid of tension. Maybe just sit and breath slowly for as long as you can at least it’s a small step towards calming down.

Forum
      Keymaster
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful

My guess is that you lack the spiritual development. The first thing I recommend is to watch the Divine Performing Arts’ performance, that will uplift your spirit and inspire your life: http://www.DivinePerformingArts.org
      The pursuit of certain cure to depression during meditation works the opposite way. Your meditation session may go smoothly if you don’t focus on elimination of the depression. Consider joining the Falun Gong practice.
      The technique and goal are explained in the ‘Falun Gong’ book. Advanced practice is discussed in details in the Zhuan Falun Lecture. Both books and meditation demonstration video are free to download from the URL listed below. If you need any help, contact a local practitioner in your area for free instructions.
      Falun Gong was found in 1992 by Master Li Hongzhi in China. About 100 million followers like the practice in over 80 countries worldwide. Falun Gong is an ancient practice for the body, mind, and spirit based upon the universal principles of Truthfulness, Compassion, and Tolerance. Falun Gong consists of five sets of powerful exercises.
      Falun Gong, Tibetans, other Buddhists, and Daoists have been persecuted in China. The most offensive human right violation is the organ harvesting from the Falun Gong practitioners in China. Can you kindly sign a petition to stop persecution of Falun Gong practitioners in China, please ?
      http://cipfg.org/en/news/petition.html
      Source(s):

Forum
      Keymaster
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful

Hi there; good question.
      The biggest problem I’m seeing here is that you are leaving the class early. If you leave a class before its end, the full benefit of the practice is not felt, & can, in fact be detrimental for you. Why? A couple of reasons; besides the fact that it is physically dangerous to leave in the middle of the class, there is also the mental effect of the class to consider.
      Yoga brings the stresses of the mind to the surface, which can be confronting, especially in your case, since you are suffering from depression. If you leave early, this stress remains unresolved & can be downright frustrating. If you finish the class, the session should (under the guidance of a good teacher) allow you to release this tension properly. Think of it as a kind of mental cool down. In my experience, Yoga is a confronting practice on all levels, but if you can persevere with it, there are many rewards, especially for the mind. A common misconception of the practice of Yoga is that people think it is relaxing. Actually, it is the ART OF RELAXATION. In order to become relaxed, we need to clear what isn’t relaxing first, which requires confronting it, accepting that it is there, then letting it go. If it is a deep seated habit, it may take some time to release fully. Perseverance is important here (Iknow it can be hard at times, but believe me it is worth it). Also, what may seem like a worsening of this state of mind after a Yoga practice, may actually be a mental release in action.
      As far as specific techniques, I’ve personally found the practice of Kriya (Purification techniques) & Mudra (not the hand gestures, but the pose based Mudras-these are excellent mood enhancers, as they are designed to bring very specific energy states into the body) to be of excellent benefit to mood enhancement. Pranayama is also good. Asanas (postures) are good, but they are generally focused on too much in the West, without employing the other techniques.
      I wouldn’t suggest any of the sitting meditations, until you’ve worked on the more specific techniques (as mentioned above).
      There is an old saying in Yoga; “Pick your Guru the way you would pick a wife,” remembering that the time this saying was created, divorce was unheard of. This means be very careful as to who you learn from, as Yoga can be detrimental if incorrectly taught. Intuition is a great guide here; try some different styles & teachers-the one that is right for you should sing out to you very clearly. Remember that Yoga is as much about joyful living as it is self mastery.
      I wish you well on your personal quest.
      Namaste
      Rashan

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.