More

What would Socrates have to say about the US educational system?

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

Referring to/Considering his statement that one can judge the quality of a community based on the education it offers its citizens?
        Writing a paper and I’m stuck – so far I’ve written about variances in funding and resources (i.e. Kozol’s “Savage Inequalities”). Any other ideas would be very helpful!

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

Socrates never had to deal with teachers unions!!

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

Socrates called them con artists back then and he would do the same today. Socrates wasn’t interested in giving kids answers, he’d have them find out for themselves (real learning).
        The US system was adopted from Prussia where it was designed to create a servant population. The current model teaches one thing primarily, and that is how to follow orders. It also forces kids to socialize and memorize which are useful things, but underneath it all is a system of control. Tests do nothing to teach, they only evaluate for the purposes of measuring one’s ability to follow orders and the incentive by far in the tests rather than the experience because that’s where the school gets funding.
        An extremely good book on the topic is “The Happy Child” by Steven Harrison. Or you could email me for ideas if you wanted.

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

Well your first step would be figuring out how Socrates preferred to facilitate learning. Does the US system of education resemble, in any way, Socrates’ idea of how learning takes place? Is it easy to imagine an school teacher using the Socratic Method in social studies class? How about exploring the meaning of justice or courage?
        Would Socrates even recognize what goes on here as education?
        Good luck with your paper, it certainly is an interesting question!

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

he would say, oh my men!

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Skip to toolbar