• Creator
    Topic
    Forum
    Keymaster
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful

meditation really worked for me, but as i found out more about it it seemed to lead me into buddhism, mantra, hinduism, zen… all these stuff.
    now i just want to meditate, for my own health and mind. Kinda like a psychological boost you know? i even found meditations and techniques on how to increase my knowledge for school. But im worried if i do this, it would mean im going agaisnt my religion.
    I just want to meditate ok? i dont believe in the teachings behind it. So my question is, is meditation a form of exercise? or a form of religion?
    i want to hear your thoughts, and thoughts from every religion about my question. But i especially want to hear a word from a pastor, im a christian. I just want answers to my question, dont start bashing on my religion ok? please and thank you 😀

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Forum
      Keymaster
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful

well dude, meditation is just a form of exercise, to improve your health, which have worldly beliefs while the religion is something which relates and tells us there is also something beyond this world, there is heaven and hell and we will face what we will do, and surely it is going to happen.

Forum
      Keymaster
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful

I meditate. Meditate on Holy thoughts, you cannot go wrong.
      I’ve never used a hummmmmmmm of any kind, only thought of God and Jesus and what he wants. I go into deep meditation, and come out more alive than ever before.
      Listen for the voice of the Holy Spirit inside you — you will hear it.

Forum
      Keymaster
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful

It’s really up to you whether it’s a religion or not. Why do you need someone’s telling you whether what you do in you private time is ok or not?

Forum
      Keymaster
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful

There should be no conflict between meditation and religious belief.
      I have found that the best way to meditate is to relax the body and then ask, ‘What will my next thought be?’
      Wait for an answer and then repeat the question. You will find that the more you practise this, the longer you can abstain from thought. Being free of the madman in your attic (the mind) will lead you to the inner, silent truth of your heart.
      X

Forum
      Keymaster
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful

I’ll bet meditation is not against any religion. My Christen church teaches us to study, pray, and ponder. The ponder being the most important part. It is the only way to develop a relationship with God. Keep meditating it will only help you in your life.

Forum
      Keymaster
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful

Think of your “Mind”, “Essence”, “Soul-facet”, whatever as a pool of crystal clear water.
      But it is raining! Every thought and other distraction creates a ripple in a seemingly patternless tapestry of ripples obscuring and distorting your view of your depths.
      If you repeat anything over and over in a rhythm – the Roseary, OM, Prime numbers, OhGod Please God, whatever – it becomes a calm but overwhelming single ripple that reduces the chaotic nature of the rain’s ripples.
      Now you can see more deeply and with far less distortion. You can get much closer to NOW. NOW is the point of power. (Think about how hard it is to hit a professionally pitched baseball.)

Forum
      Keymaster
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful

Meditation relaxes and puts you in touch with your inner self where you take your self and what you discover about yourself is up to you, a thought is like a seed and when you meditate you can water it or not all your decision Take it to buddah jesus wherever but if i were you i would just take it to you

Forum
      Keymaster
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful

Psalm 1
      1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
      2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
      3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
      Joshua 1:8
      This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
      Psalm 119:48 My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in thy statutes.
      Psalm 119:78 Let the proud be ashamed; for they dealt perversely with me without a cause: but I will meditate in thy precepts.
      1 Timothy 4:15 Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.

Forum
      Keymaster
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful

I think that if you are going to do it then go all the way.
      Why not believe in the teachings behind it? If it works for you, like it does millions of people, then the teachings behind it must have credibility or else it wouldn’t work.
      You should read more about it and study what it is all about.

Forum
      Keymaster
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful

I meditate no matter what religion I am (I’m pretty religion-fluid, thanks to my up-bringing)
      I’ve also found that atheists meditate more than other people (except buddhists) because they find it helps then for day-to-day life.
      Also, I’ve found christians meditate using the Our Father and get good results from that. I chant the Daimoku of Nichiren (Namu Myoho Renge Kyo) and I find it quite relaxing. Christians can also chant it, becuase it’s meaning can be applied to christian doctrine.
      Hope this helps to some degree…
      //_^

Forum
      Keymaster
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful

I am a christian but no religion. 2 me religion is just a label I believe meditation faith and actions are more important, but you should do what you feel comfortable doing. The most important thing is to put God first and follow Jesus’ teachings by reading the bible, praying and meditating on what you learn.

Forum
      Keymaster
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful

meditation is just a form of making yourself feel great as long you are doing in a right way there’s no problem…..
      how come its against the religion?!
      you are meditating because you want to feel relax and to reflect on the things you have done…..and not to commit sins right?
      i am a catholic, and as far as i know meditation is not against my religion because i am doing it for me to feel OK and it is not written on the Bible that it is bad….
      you know what …it is just in your mind that” knowing more about it is leading you to another kind of religion” if your faith to your own religion is really that strong then theres no need for you to be worried…and one more thing follow what you really feel and like to do….as long as your conscience telling you its OK then its OK!!! but it doesn’t mean that you will never pray!!!learn to balance your obligation as a christian and your likeness to meditate…..
      why don’t you try to meditate with GOD’S presence!!??
      jejeje…
      remember: meditation is NOT BAD nor against to any kind of religion as long as you are performing it not against to its doctrine…. I KNOW,…it makes you free from pressure and feel calm,……..but don’t be toO addictive to it because sometimes it makes us forget that there is a SUPERIOR BEING THAT NEEDS OUR ATTENTION…. WE SHOULD ALWAYS ACKNOWLEDGE HIS PRESENCE….
      OUR DEAR GOD…

Forum
      Keymaster
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful

Meditation is important to and originated in the Buddhist and the Taoist Schools. Other branched out religions from Buddhism such as Zen Buddhism and Hinduism inherited meditation. Many Asian monks in Buddhist temples must meditate as their daily discipline, in order to gain enlightenment. Their masters watched their progress. When the good monks died, their bodies would not decay, or their cremation leaving light color beads. When the bad monks died, their bodies decayed as usual, or their cremation leaving dark color beads.
      The Christians faiths have similar cases where the dead body remained soft and un-decayed. There is a famous nun died in France church.
      You can still practice meditation on your own with your religion, such as the yoga practiced in the gyms. However, the meditation benefit was only limited as you expected. You may reach whatever level in the religion you took, if you haven’t mixed in with other religion.

Forum
      Keymaster
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful

When I lived in Hong Kong I was taught a form of meditation/breathing exercise associated with Chi Gong. I learned it from a Lutheran Minister who along with two other Ministers were the top Gong Fu/Wu Shu masters in HK at the time. They had all studied divinity @ U of Minn. This meditating, breathing technique is used to refresh the mind and to give your thinking greater depth. It has enhanced my ability to think more clearly on God’s will for my life.

Forum
      Keymaster
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful

Hi bro, I’m not a pastor but I can share with you what I learnt in church. Firstly, it’s not good to venture too deep into other religious practices, such as certain types of meditation and yoga. These practices came from spiritual sources that are not from God, which may have origins from the evil spirits. I am not saying this to scare you or to condemn you or anyone. After all, the Holy Spirit in us is greater than the spirit of anti-Christ in this world. (1 John 4:4) I am saying this since you are a beloved child of God, and if you trust in what God says, instead of what the world says, you won’t go wrong.
      Before I became a Christian more than five years ago, I considered myself a free-thinker who used to read books on Buddhism and new age. I had tried some of the meditation techniques before, and the breathing exercises seemed to work for some time, giving me some peace. But later on, I somehow grew to become too conscious of my breathing patterns until one night, I woke up gasping for breath. Back then, I didn’t know what was wrong, and I instinctively prayed to God for help, even though I wasn’t a Christian then. Fortunately, the breathing difficulty stopped after a few minutes, and I could go back to sleep. About a year or two later, I accepted Christ into my life, and since then, I have not tried any of the meditation methods from those books again.
      Secondly, the biblical meaning of “meditation” is not the same as the secular/religious meaning. Meditation is not about emptying the mind, nor is it about breathing or entering into a trance-like state. According to the Bible, meditation is not just about the mind; it is about speech. The Hebrew word “hagah” in Joshua 1:8 primarily means “to mutter”.
      “This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth;
      but thou shalt meditate therein day and night,
      that thou mayest observe to do
      according to all that is written therein:
      for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous,
      and then thou shalt have good success.”
      (Joshua 1:8)
      Notice, the first line mentions “mouth”? The way we meditate on God’s word is not only to ponder and reflect and focus on His words, but also to mutter them softly under our breath. However, we do not need to do it religiously, as if we are chanting. Rather, we need to interpret God’s word in the light of the gospel or the New Testament. We study the Bible to know God’s promises. Then we simply speak out His promises by faith, and God is faithful to perform His words. (Isaiah 55:11)
      For example, we can say, “Father I thank You Your word says the path of the righteous shines brighter and brighter. So I thank You that my path is shining brighter and brighter and my future is bright.” (Proverbs 4:18) If we are sick, we can say, “Father I thank You that by His stripes I am healed.” (Isaiah 53:5) Jesus said, “he will have whatever he says” when he believes that those things he says will be done. (Mark 11:23)
      Finally, Jesus said He would give His shalom peace to His disciples. (John 14:27) This peace is not as the world gives. The peace that the world gives – meditation, aromatherapy, chanting, etc – is not lasting peace or true peace. It comes and goes, and is dependent on places, moods, etc. But the peace of Jesus transcends all understanding, and is able to guard your heart and mind from fears, worries and anxieties. (Philippians 4:7) You will have peace in the midst of a storm or trouble when you abide in His words and His words abide in you. You will be stable and unshakeable like a rock because your trust is in the Rock of Ages, Jesus Christ, and not in the shifting sands of the world.
      Hope this helps. God bless.

Forum
      Keymaster
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful

Meditation doesn’t belong to any one religion but forms a part of personal/individual spirituality(non religious) and there is no contradiction between them.You shall remain a good Christian with all the meditation you wish to go through but be circumspect from people who have rigid ideas about the topic.

Forum
      Keymaster
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful

Vaishnav cult of Hinduism says
      First only God was there in light means the abode of God. In light extending upto infinity there was a dark dot which stands for material world. In this dark dot another form of God(but still both are same and not different) was present. Innumberable universes were evolving from pores of his skin. In each of this universe another forms of God known as Lord Vishnu started entering. So for every universe we have a care taker Lord Vishnu which is believed to be first God of this material world in which we live. There are 21 heavens , 21 hells, earth etc. spreaded across this universe or material world. This universe seems endless and we including all powerful heavenly Gods have never seen another universe. Hence concept of a very Big God from whose pores innumberable heavens are evolving still remains imagination and we have no other way to keep faith. If sometimes our spirit diminishes from this universe then perhaps we will be dead or entering another heaven of God from where we would never return to this material world.
      Now just as Lord Vishnu is supposed to enter each of the universe it is believed that God in form of imaginary of very micro form entered all atoms, souls, forms and all things that exists as well as all things that does not exists (imaginary). That way deep within our heart or in very interior of the caves of our heart there is a living God known as Lord Vishun or God. Pyschologically it is just a product of heated imagination but as per Vaishnav religion there is no difference between God’s imagination & God himself. Aim of meditation is to move in the internals of our heart and discover this imagination know as God. People attaining this stage are said to be having parallel thinking as per psychology but they are no doubt superior then those people that do not have the art of parrallel thinking. In parallel thinking we have God on one side in our imagination and we are on other side and the problem or issue or happy event or world or whatever life gives us is between us.
      Aim of Yoga is to attain this supreme happiness – the imaginary God. He is given backup by Lord Vishnu-the caretaker of universe. However while doing Yoga as per Hinduism we are on a route towards internal of heart towards God’s imaginary or real image or living statue or God himself(you yourself decide after discovering). The fact that while going on this route we come across a lot of paranormal powers which are sometimes given by spirits may be divine or evil can encounter with us. But they can just lure. If we remain firm and rigid and dont surrender their lureness we are sure to win and discover the God within us.
      However after discovering this God the factor that anytime he may say that I don’t exist may remain to rule.Joan of arc getting burnt, or Christ getting crucified and you being given any high reason for coming across such circumstances can not be ruled out. Hence go for discovery of God if and only if you are prepared to say “Dear God even if u are imagination I will give you a place in my heart. My imagination will support you. Even if I m ruined and my everything is slayed by you I will still love you and forgive you. No doubt as per laws of nature a sense of revenge will rise within me and pressurise me through pain (pyschological or physical) to curse you but still I will fight those negative waves of nature and I will still love you. If you are just an imagination and I am richer than you bcos I have existence then also I will not shun you and will preserve you deep within my heart as my guide”. In other words True love is what this imaginary God wants and he tests no doubt. SO MOVE on the path of meditation but this path would slowly take you towards God even if you are doing this for peace of mind because its the internal wave arisen from the heart of imaginary God that exists within your heart and in fact he is pulling you towards him bcos he remembers you and wants to reach the state of parallel thinking so that he does not get bored and comes face to face with you…. of course within heart or imagination not truly. Bcos spirits can be seen,Heavenly divine gods can be seen,demons can be seen but that which is unseen is God. However you can imagine Lord Vishnu,Brahma, Shiva,stone,Jesus or any divine soul as God,even a cow, parents,tree etc. and as per Hinduism the loving God will still receive your worships bcos he resides within everyone’s heart. And he is more delighted if you worship a cow rather than his direct worship. Imagine yourself in place of God for few minutes and ask yourself whether you will not be amused if someone considers the all powerful God as a cow and worships him.Something different even lures God.So finally if all God are one meditation would take you towards him. However the risk that you will be entering in heavens of Hindus instead of heaven of Christian still remains. Bcos there is difference in internal lights of Hindus,Christians, Muslims. A part of Christ is alive in all True Christians,a part of Allah is alive in all true Muslims and a part of Shiva,Vishnu etc. is alive in Hindus. In other words the internal lights differ as per the imaginary or true spirits a person worships. NO Doubt tomorrow if you worship imaginary superman many of his traits first natural will start rising in you. You will like to wear blue dresses. You will like to jump like superman.You will like to look upon as a Superman hence your unconscious mind will slowly creep towards the imaginary superman established in your heart.
      1.) If you are religiously more advance you should ask God while doing something “Out of the Way”
      2) If you are not religiously so advanced as to see and talk with God then under such circumstances you have to hear what people says
      So as per point 1 if God tells you to meditate and give you the permission let the whole Christian society stand against you then also you remain firm and do Yoga
      But as per point no. 2 if you are not religiously so advanced as to see and talk with God then do what the world says. Dont practice Yoga
      Phsychologically point no. 1 means you are in a state of parallel thinking attained by religious people.The God they see is nothing but a product of heated imagination.Psychologists say this not me!
      Phsychologically point no. 2 means you are not in a state of parallel thinking so move with the world and do what the world or majority says. Don’t listen to your heart but only listen to Big Christian Fathers, Parents ,Teachers, Bullish wife etc.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.