Of course you can. However, as with anything, it is often more helpful to learn from those with experience. But for the self learner check out these following links:
1. Brief Instructions for Sitting Meditation
2. Approaching Zazen (seated meditation)
3. Mindfulness in Plain English
4. Introduction to Meditation Course
5. Wildmind Meditation Website
No, you don’t need formalized classes (and there are not many).
Here…try this very simple, yet powerful meditation in the article ‘Effortless Meditation’ at http://www.awaken2life.org/published-articles/74-effortless-meditation.html
It can be done for a couple minutes or an hour.
Also of possible interest is a 15-minute audio podcast episode called ‘The Art of Meditation’ (ep. 6) at http://www.awaken2life.org/podcast-more-oom.html but you would need to register first to get access to these older episodes.
~ Eric Putkonen