More

Athiests Serious Question Do you believe in Reincarnation?

Viewing 24 reply threads
    • Author
        Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

Since you believe we have no souls since the cycle of consciousness blacks out at the end of life. and you believe you were not there before earth. Do you think that the energy of the universe will spark consciousness into you again either on this or another planet. Think about it can you really imagine eternal non existence.
        (I am a Spiritual Satanist and Proud of who i am thank you very much)

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

No.

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

Nope

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

No. We have only one life to live.

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

Nope.

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

Reincarnation is incredibly easy to disprove.
        But gullible beats everything.

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

no, but I suppose it should be possible to copy your consciousness, maybe in the distant future people could have their neurons mapped and copied to a circuit or become regenerated. We’ll all be long dead by the time that technology comes around.

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

Not me
        I have met a few who do. But your consciousness is just your brain. When it dies, it dies.

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

Not an atheist or theist, but I only acknowledge the preservation of energy. This is my eternity.

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

I do not fear death, I was dead for many years before I was born.

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

This one doesn’t

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

No.

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

Atheists who believe in reincarnation are called “buddhists”.

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

I think they would have to first believe in the soul to believe in any kind of reincarnation.

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

This qualifies as a serious question to you?
        No, that is just as ridiculous as an afterlife and has just as much proof.

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

Argument from fallacy/Appeal to ridicule: No.

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

I can easily imagine eternal non-existence. I didn’t exist for billions of years before I existed.
        I can relate to what you’re saying, though. In a way we continue to exist, because we are all physically absorbed back into the universe and what once composed us is used elsewhere.
        But our consciousness only exists during our lifetime. I would say that consciousness is what makes us us, wouldn’t you? With that in mind, no, I don’t believe in reincarnation in the traditional sense.

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

It is not hard to imagine eternal non existence because it is the end once you are dead your brain no longer sends electrical signals around yoy body so there is nothing to imagine.
        I dont think i explained myself very well but i cant think of a netter way to explain it.

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

No!
        And yes, yes I can imagine eternal non-existance, except it isn’t eternal. I’m alive now, aren’t I?

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

Atheists can believe in a soul just not a deity, and reincarnation doesn’t require a soul as such.
        Some Buddhists believe reincarnation is the movement of the consciousness or mind into another body, others believe that only your Karmic balance migrates. The same is perhaps true of other religions I don’t know much about (that’s a lot of them).
        Personally, I don’t believe in reincarnation. I didn’t exist for a long time before now, it’s not so much of a stretch to imagine not existing again.

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

No, I don’t. And I understand your feelings about tthe notion of eternal non-existence. It is hard for me to imagine too. But the fact that it is impossible to imagine does not make it less likely to be reality.
        I say this with a certain amount of fear, I admit it. I don’t like the notion of non-existence one bit. But when you think about it, the notion of being aware and conscious for all time….wow, that is almost scarier. Never ending, always striving…. it would have to be something very different or, I suspect, a person would go mad. Perhaps if a new life were lived ….
        But to return to your question, I have looked at the arguments about reincarnation, and I do not find any reasonable evidence to support it.
        Good question!
        Regards,
        Lady Morgana

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

no

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

There are many ways that reincarnation could be interpreted. Do I believe that people come back to life? No. Do I believe that my personality or way of thinking will be transferred into another being? No. I believe that, in all probability, someone similar to me will come along after a while, but that’s not exactly me. My main quarrel with your question is that “the energy of the universe” can “spark consciousness” into me. Consciousness is not an object that can be placed, it is a state that is attained by a human brain. Once the brain has degraded past a certain point, for whatever reason, it cannot regain consciousness. And, as a final note, I cannot imagine nonexistence, however everything that I was while alive will still be there. My body will be there, the electrical and inertial energy that my body used will still be there, however they will not be working together. If a Lego building is destroyed, the pieces are still there, but it’s not the same object. So, in this sense, I do not believe in reincarnation.

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

Yes. I do.
        Atheism has nothing to do with the belief of a soul, though I am sure the majority of atheists don’t believe in one. I think the time it takes for one person to be reincarnated after their death will vary and be random. I also don’t believe that our actions in this life will help determine our next life.
        I simply believe that everything contains energy, that everything that is made into matter, will cycle through different changes including ourselves. Eventually, whatever that grants me awareness, will simply happen again.

Forum
        Keymaster
        Helpful
        Up
        Down
        Not Helpful

When the atheist thinks about reincarnation as a scientific principle instead of a religious idea, the idea can be very intriguing. The word “soul” conjures up mystical images of church doctrines, but there’s also the thought that reincarnation is simply a law of nature without gods, demons or angels.
        A soul might be considered to be a part of the self (the consciousness factor) that exists on a non material plane which we know little about now. Anecdotal evidence has been studied, and the actual evidence for reincarnation is impressive. At least some serious scientists can imagine a reality beyond what we know to be reality at this point in time. One thing we know for certain: When it comes to knowing all there is yet to discover about the mysteries of life, science is still in diapers.

Viewing 24 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Skip to toolbar