I have some general questions about tarot cards and reading?
1. How do you shuffle your deck? I know it's a manner of preference, but I want some opinions. This leads into...
2. Should I encourage reverse cards? Is this also a manner of preference?
3. What is a good spread for asking simple questions? Just shuffle and draw a card as an answer?
1) Overhand (I have never been able to riffle shuffle any cards and I and don't want to damage my cards)
2) Not as a beginner, but later to add some depth to your dictionary/vocabulary
3) Single card or three card spread (past, present, future) or 2-card challenges spread (situation and challenges), or 2-card challenges spread plus likely outcome of current path/direction (the 3 main cards from the celtic cross spread for a specific issue).
There are some great tips in this site:
I shuffle my deck as I would any other cards and it is a matter of preference. Some readers don't use reverse cards but I think that it limits you in your readings if reverse is not used. You don't have to encourage them, they will just happen.
I don't use a spread for questions. I throw 3 - 5 cards and sometimes even more if I don't get the answer right away.